Saturday, May 5, 2018

Workshop Cafe


Today I ran a 'Writing Workshop' at a local cake café in my neighbourhood. It was a beautiful blend of creative camaraderie and idea sharing, with cake!

A gaggle of writers
It all began one day while talking to the owners and enjoying their baked wonders. Kiss Me Cupcakes are a most welcome addition to our local community, not least because of their gorgeous baked delights. They are enthusiastic about bringing people together in their delightful wood-panelled café for a variety of events, sharing creative endeavours and eating cake. Did I mention there is cake?

Writers' Fuel
While I run a bi-monthly writing group at my local community centre, I thought it would be fun to hold a workshop, especially for those who find it difficult to begin a project. It can take time and immense effort for people to overcome the initial hurdle of putting those first few words on a page. Using some fun activities and simple handouts my little gaggle of writers went home today with 50-100 words of a story, a basic plot arc and some idea of direction.

Heads down for the '50 words' round!
We decided we loved it so much, we'll be doing it again soon. A big thank you not only to the café, but also the attendees who were inspiring and enthusiastic! Thank you especially for the marvellous feedback.

Me in my Author's Nook


4 comments:

  1. I know a cafe like this near me. Do you think you could come to Sussex one day? Haha? Giving me ideas now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, what fun it would be! We all had a great time. I thoroughly recommend it. It's a marvellous opportunity to meet other local authors and share knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having us, great to meet other local writers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang that sounds fun:) Now I just have to book a plane ticket to join:)

    ReplyDelete