Friday, March 8, 2019

Plot Proppers


I wanted to lend some time and thought to those characters often-used and quickly forgotten within fiction. They are the all-important bit-players who swim in and out of scenes, often perhaps without having received much consideration at the time, but who later prove to have been pivotal. They are the ‘plot proppers’ – those minor roles that can be utilised so neatly to prop-up a scene, play a key role in progressing plot or support the main characters.

pieces of the whole
They are oft times unsung heroes or heroines the reader does not always recall in great detail. However, without them, our protagonists would not learn important information to progress through the written landscape. The antagonists would fail to learn details of the hero’s/heroine’s next move. So often we talk about our main characters. I wanted to dedicate some space to the plot-proppers and ask you to share some examples of your own.
 
the unwritten landscape
Two characters, in particular, spring to my mind as I write this. The first is named ‘Hig’ from my first Wolf Spear Saga ‘WULFSUNA’. He appears briefly at the start as a young Angle warrior who is a boy given a man’s task. We never see him again in this novel, but he may one day be resurrected to play a part in my forthcoming sequel, Wolf Spear Saga 2!


Another plot-propper from ‘WULFSUNA’ in Trunhild. He epitomises his entire tribe and is a symbol of all the differences between them and the Germanic Wolf Sons they reunite with. His whole existence during the novel serves as a lesson to my hero Wulfgar, which in turn shapes his character progression.


·         Do you have plot-proppers?


·         Who are they and how do they affect your storyline?


·         Do you feel plot-proppers are necessary?


~  ~  ~

Blood, betrayal and brotherhood.
An ancient saga is weaving their destiny.
A treacherous rival threatens their fate.
A Seer's magic may be all that can save them.

WULFSUNA








3 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine!

    My casts of characters tend to be small; my 'secondaries' play an invaluable part of the whole. I agree with you - they're often vital, not only for clues but for added atmosphere & colour. (I like village shops! Welsh ones in particular are breeding grounds for fascinating characters!) So yes, very necessary!

    Hope your writing is going well! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol, and I agree with you about village shops! My equivalents tend to be the town smithy, innkeepers and such. These minor characters can often be a lot of fun to write as well.

    Projects are progressing very nicely. I hope the muse finds you too! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that secondary characters can be quite memorable and essential to the plot. Plus they're fun to write :)

    ReplyDelete